Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Combining decals Tip #1


This is the first, in a series of "tips" or "tricks of the trade."

I wanted to share a technique that I use when making dichroic glass jewelry with waterslide decals.

When I first started working with these decals I would center them on the glass and complete the piece. The decal looked great and I could change the color of the background. But after making hundreds of these it began to get repetitive. So I asked myself, "Self, how can we get creative with these pieces?"

I experimented with combining 2 decals on the same piece of glass. I remember it like it was yesterday. I put a tree of life decal on a pendant, I cut out some birds from another decal and put them above the tree of life. I used 2 decals for awhile and then I introduced a 3rd decal. Now whenever I look for inspiration, I lay out several different decals and put together a scene that I think people will like. Remember to be aware of your background colors when picking out your decals. Some decals may fit best with a blue or green background, or you can get really creative and make the background a sunset or sunrise .

This pendant was created with 3 decals. If placed correctly on the glass, you should not be able to tell it consists of 3 separate decals. It should just look like one complete image. It takes some practice to perfect this technique, but once you do, you will have a trick up your sleeve that other artists do not. It will separate your work from others.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me, info@aaeglass.com. I come from a family of teachers, so I love teaching

Tune in next time for tip #2, how to photograph your jewelry to sell.

I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor.

AAE

2 comments:

  1. Very neat! I've never done that kind of glass work or working with decals like that... but it's pretty freakin' awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth. I'm glad you like it. It gets addicting the more I learn. Have a great night!
    AAE

    ReplyDelete