Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dichroic Glass Jewelry Artist of the Week, Leah from Luv2have



LUV2HAV

I have been fascinated with making things with my hands since I was old enough to hold a pair of scissors and a piece of paper. I have dabbled in just about every craft out there, including sculpting with polymer clay, sterling silver wire wrapped jewelry, beaded jewelry, quilling, card making, cake decorating, rubber stamping, and painting.

I fell in love with fused glass two years ago when I decided to take a class at a nearby studio to make a few pieces for Christmas gifts. My instructor showed me the basics of cutting and breaking the glass, and I happily sat for two hours cutting little pieces of glass and made about 15 pendants! I started out by buying a small amount of glass and renting kiln time at the studio until I was so obsessed I finally had to break down and purchase my own kiln. I am almost completely self taught, I spend a lot of hours reading and I find trial and error to be the best teacher of all. My house is now overflowing with sheets of glass and containers of dichroic glass, along with all the fun accessories I can find! I hope to add a proper studio when we build a new house in a year or so, and that will allow me some more space to add some new equipment. I have a long list of things I would love to buy!

Working with glass has brought me more joy than anything else I have ever tried. I love the tedious work of putting the glass pieces together like a puzzle, and then the excitement of opening the kiln to see what they turned into. I hope to expand my glass work by combining some of it with Precious Metal Clay, silver smithing, and lamp working in the future. There is always something new to learn!
*********************************************************************************
Thanks Leah! I'm sure these pieces will be flying out the door in no time.

Be sure to click on this link to view the Luv2hav studio.

If you need to stock up for the Christmas rush, visit www.aaeglass.com today. We have limited bottle stopper blanks, both round and hard to find square. Cords, high fire and low fire fusing decals and bails. If you need something that you don't see on the site, just ask and we will find it for you.

AAE

No comments:

Post a Comment