Monday, August 1, 2011

AAE Glass Featured Artist Amy Simpson




AAE Glass is proud to feature glass artist Amy Simpson.  Amy has quite a bit of experience and has made glass fusing her art of choice.  With a well rounded background, Amy is able to apply extensive creativity and knowledge to her wearable glass art.  Thanks for sharing with us Amy. We wish you the best!
Here is a bit about Amy and her work.
I enrolled in a glass fusing course at my local community college five years ago.  Though I was already familiar with stained glass, the art of glass fusing intrigued me with the infinite possibilities it offered.  I have a background in painting and metal-smithing, but fused glass has since become my medium of choice. 

The new techniques I learned after taking Tanya Veit's Extreme Fusing Workshop at Ed Hoy’s International broadened the spectrum of my design potential in a fantastic and exciting manner!  Previously, my designs were achieved by extensive layering and the incorporation of “boiled” glass.  The principles of hand etching Tanya teaches gave me the option to create my own images and to tweak my glass collages with elements that can’t be mass produced.  I feel that even the smallest pendant should be a showpiece…a miniature painting in glass, if you will.  Tanya’s Extreme Fusing Workshop helped me realize this belief to an even greater extent! 
My work is sold at several boutiques and at 404 Main Gallery in Bloomington, IL, but I primarily sell at fine arts and crafts shows in Illinois.  Here is my CURRENT SHOW SCHEDULE.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I know very little about fusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Francesca. If you use the search function on this blog and search "layering dichroic glass" you will find a video tutorial which shows the beginning of the glass fusing process. Thanks for commenting and have a great day.

    AAE Glass

    ReplyDelete